Thursday, March 3, 2011

Bartending for a New Mom? Appalling!

Wait it's not that bad. Think about it. You can no longer go out like you used to and you still want to hang with your friends. Oh and don't forget, YOU NEED A DRINK, from time to time. So my advice, as a new mom, and a woman that has enjoyed a drink or two, is buy yourself the American Bar by Charles Schumann and have at it.

I've not been a mixed drinker in the past except for a few standards. I have been adventurous in my life with other things, but not with booze, which now that I think of it is a good thing.  In fact, I must admit that I'm quite ingorant when it comes to mixed drinks. I don't know what's in the drinks I like and I've been of the opinion that it must be quite difficult and complicated to make a good drink. That's why the big tip for the bartender, right?

I'm turning over a new leaf though. As part of my "therapy" and as a way to improve my mind (HA!), I'm starting with my standard drinks and moving through the book so that I'll one, really know what I like, two, I'll be able to order with confidence when I actually ever get a chance to out again, and three, I'll be able to make my own damn drink when I need--I'm mean want one. How many drink recipes are there in the American Bar? I haven't counted them up yet, but I'm going to find out.

Drink #1 Margarita
Good Heavens! I never imagined that the Margarita was sooo very simple.

3/4 oz lemon juice
3/4 oz Cointreau (or triple sec)
1 1/2 oz tequila

That's it?!

So what's in Margarita Mix? I headed off to the grocery recently to find out and the ingredients read lemon juice, triple sec, and tequila. That's it?! No mysterious ingredients that I don't know what it is or where to find it.  Well if the drinks are going to be this easy, well...what an idiot I've been. The first drink was a success!

So what's next? On to the White Russian, though I'll have to do a little shopping. WE NEED KALHUA! The booze stash in the house may seem extensive to some, but its ancient. It currently includes Tequilla, Vodka, Congac, Saki, Amaretto, and Citron. The tequilla we used for the Margarita's was at least 5 years old and may even have been 8 years old. I just can't remember when I bought it. It definitely moved with us into our current condo and we moved here in fall 2006. I have a lot of vodka in the house though for the most part they are unopened bottles collected at various times with the intent to make a screw driver, but never actually opened. Its a little scary, but I think we actually have 3 bottles of vodka. I can however remember when I bought the Amaretto. I bought it to make a Peach Amaretto Sorbet in 2002. Does Amaretto go bad? Maybe I'll be dumping it.

Okay so a little shopping for more booze is needed and perhaps a little investment in some actual bartending equipment. You are supposed to "shake" the ingredients for a Margarita and I do not have a shaker. Note to else and anyone else that's interested. Using a coffee travel mug does the job, but its not very elegant and who wants to make a drink for a friend when its not an elegant process. So off we go. Are you ready for the adventure?

1 comment:

  1. After a year, Julie had a book deal, a movie, and some darn good French food.
    Hey, what if you used little micro- stills and see where at leads. It's the next big way to make money from and enjoy booze ... and buy and support local. It's very Eco. Maybe even healthy...

    ReplyDelete